Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to synchronize feedback between blocks?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to synchronize feedback between blocks?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:06:48 -0600

Hi Martin -

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Martin Braun wrote:
y(n) = x(n) + x(n-2)

My question is: can GNU Radio be modified to accept this? It's a
perfectly valid flow graph (similar to ones you find in DSP textbooks),
and thanks to the history of the delays, one that should work. I'd be
very interested to hear some comments on this.

Shortest Answer: Yes, this could be done -- GNU Radio is open source :). Go for it! I think you'll find that it's not trivial to implement. Further: If you look at the radio of computation time versus overhead time (one version of "computational intensity") of any such loops -- when implemented in a data-flow block fashion such as what GNU Radio does (and, all SDRs that I know of) -- it will be very low compared with writing a specific block that internally handles the feedback. So, low efficiency but allowing for feedback, or high efficiency but no feedback ... hmm ... seems obvious which to choose at least for the initial implementation. Maybe some future implementation will deal with feedback loops in some special way. Hope this helps! - MLD