Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 2 issues with latest GIT master, at least on OSX

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 2 issues with latest GIT master, at least on OSX 10.5.8
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 12:52:08 -0700

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:02, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:

> BUILD_DATE=`date -R -u`
> ++++
>
> The '-u' works ("Display or set the date in UTC (Coordinated Universal)
> time"), but there is no "-R" option to Darwin's built-in 'date'.  What does
> the '-R' option specify?

>From the manpage:

-R, --rfc-2822
              output date and time in RFC 2822 format.  Example: Mon,
07 Aug 2006 12:34:56 -0600

> (2) config/gr_git.m4:37
> ++++
>        if test x`echo $GIT_DESCRIBE | cut -f 1- -d '-' --output-delimiter='
> ' | wc -w` = x4; then
> ++++
>
> It's the "--output-delimiter" that doesn't work with Darwin's 'cut'; this
> version only handles single '-' parameters.  What does this option do?

>From the manpage:

--output-delimiter=STRING
              use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use
the input delimiter

In our case, we ask cut to delimit the output fields with spaces
instead of the input delimiter '-'.  This is so the 'wc' program can
tell how many fields there are by counting words.  We need to know if
there are 3 or 4 '-' delimited fields in the output of `git describe`.

Feel free to suggest an alternative way of doing this test.  My
script-fu is not my greatest asset :-)

Johnathan