Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices RF RX/TX subsystems for Spartan-3A

From: Eric Brombaugh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices RF RX/TX subsystems for Spartan-3AN FPGA
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:08:13 -0700

On 06/17/2010 09:58 AM, Elvis Dowson wrote:
          I would like to design a custom board based on the Spartan-3AN FPGA,
based on the Spartan-3AN FPGA Starter Kit, but would like to build my own RF

If I look at the AD9874 IF-to-Bits RX subsystem component

it contains an ADC and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Could someone help me by pointing out what other components or parts I should
be looking at to build the RF receiver front-end to start with, assuming that I
am going to learn from the USRP2 design, and the fact that it already has the
Spartan-3AN FPGA, and I'm going to build my own RF front-end?

Designing an RF frontend from scratch sounds like a challenge, and the AD9874 requires a fair amount of support circuitry. Have you considered trying something a bit more integrated? How about this:

While that project isn't getting a lot of support lately, there are schematics and supporting materials available and the part that it's based on is highly integrated and fairly inexpensive: