Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit signal power - How to find from the amp

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit signal power - How to find from the amplitude set in transmit_path?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:01:01 -0400

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM, John Andrews <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to calculate the power of the signal(in dBm) transmitted in
> benchmark_tx.py. The transmit_path sets an amplitude in the range [0,1] but
> how will I convert this into the actual power. I just want to know where
> should I be looking in order to calculate it myself.

If I were in your situation, I'd calibrate myself with the hardware
under test by first sending out just a carrier and measuring the power
of the carrier on the frequency you wish to test.  Use a meter or
scope to do this part.

Then calculate the peak-to-average power ratio of your modulation to
know how much of your signal has to be backed off to maintain
linearity through your RF PA.

> Thanks,
> John

Good luck.