[Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?

From: Clark Pope
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:33:49 -0400

I'm curious what people do with the wideband capability of the gnuradio/usrp
and what is the widest bandwidth signal one can really process with available
computers?

For reference I have a ~2.4 GHz core 2 duo laptop. For a 200 kHz FM demodulator
I consume about 40% of one cpu. That's pretty much the simplest useful thing
anyone can do so that maps to my laptop might be able to process 1 MHz
bandwidth continuously.

Similarly, my hard drive can't really keep up with 32 Mbyte/s recording. So if
samples are 16-bit and you really can't afford lost data it seems like
recording is limited to maybe 10 MHz or so bandwidth.

However, with gigabit Ethernet you can send 100 Mbyte/s or more. What's the
most anyone has recorded or processed continuously? What level of compexity was
the processing?

Thanks,
Clark