Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to get dqpsk2 block?

From: Mark J. Blair
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to get dqpsk2 block?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 01:38:24 -0700

On Aug 20, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Thunder87 wrote:
> Somehow managed to install git and get gnuradio source. Now I have a problem
> with source installation. "sudo ./configure" says:
>
> The following components were skipped either because you asked not
> to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:
>
> gruel
> gcell
> gnuradio-core
[...]
> These components will not be built.

You're probably missing at least one required library, so it's not building any
of the important parts of the gnuradio code. Look at the config.log file that
was created by running configure, and find the first critical component that it
decided not to build (probably gruel, and you'll most likely find it by
searching for the word "building"), then try to figure out why it didn't build
it. I think it's ok for gcell to not be built on most systems, but other
components like gruel or gnuradio-core are critical. Here's a snippet of my
config.log file as an example:

[...]
configure:21465: checking for byteswap.h
configure:21465: result: no
configure:21548: result: Component gruel passed configuration checks; building.
configure:21590: checking whether host_cpu is powerpc*
configure:21599: result: no
configure:21606: checking for spu-gcc
configure:21634: result: noconfigure:21667: result: Not building component
gcell.
configure:21937: checking for cblas_sgemm
[...]

Notice that it decided to build gruel, and not to build gcell, and that it
didn't build gcell because it couldn't find the spu-gcc compiler. In your
config.log file, it'll say "...result: Not building component gruel.", and the
lines (lots of them, including dumps of the test programs that failed) are what
you'll need to study to determine what's missing. Some of the failures are
probably innocuous (like my missing byteswap.h file, I think), and just
indicate the sorts of system-specific variances that the configure script is
looking for. However, there'll probably be at least one failure to find a
critical library or header file, and that'll be your first clue about what else
you'll need to look for and install. You will probably need to repeat the
process many times before all of the critical components will build.

You might also need to pass more arguments to the configure script, if you
determine that it's not finding something that you're sure is installed on your
system.

While you're working your way through finding all of your missing required
libraries, it may be helpful to temporarily add flags such as "--with-gruel" or
"--with-gnuradio-core" to the ./configure invocation to make the script abort
immediately after deciding not to build the specified component, rather than
continuing on and making a zillion more lines of output for you to sift
through. For example, since the critical gruel component isn't building on your
system, nothing that comes after it in the configuration script matters until
you fix that, and the "--with-gruel" flag should tell it to give up immediately
after deciding not to build gruel.

By the way, you should only need to use sudo to run the final "make install"
step. None of the configuration and compilation steps before that should
require root privileges.

Good luck!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <address@hidden>