Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] use of a "bulletin board" system in lieu of a mai

From: Douglas Geiger
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:26:54 -0400

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 10:47 AM, Dan Harasty wrote:
>>  Hello, all.
>> OK, I know I'm just the "new guy" here, and it may be poor form to
>> suggest that a well established forum should change its ways....
>> But I find the email-based discussion list VERY inefficient.
> A lot of people on here seem to use Nabble which provides the bulletin board
> interface.  The mailing list already has search and archive features, as do
> Nabble and Google.
> On a more philosophical note, I think a mailing list better encourages
> participation and community.  For example, if everyone only looked at the
> forum when they had a question that they were hoping to have answered, then
> there would never be anybody there to answer them.
> Matt

I generally agree with Matt's comments, but I'll add two things:
 1.) The Wiki is there to be a more permanent repository of knowledge
(i.e. something that's easy to reference vs. the 'conversational'
style of the mailing list)

 2.) I do see the value of some of the more recent Q&A type websites.
In particular I'll point to stackoverflow (and the related
stackexchange set of websites) as an excellent repository of knowledge
that excels at building a community. Although, while there are a few
questions tagged [gnuradio] on stackoverflow, I don't think it has
caught on as a place to ask DSP/comms/gnuradio related programming

In any event, I personally still see lots of value in participating
the mailing list, but figured I'd throw out the fact that there are
already some other options to look for information.

Doug Geiger