Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, GNU Radio, UHD???

From: Thomas Tsou
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, GNU Radio, UHD???
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:57:48 -0400

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Mason Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
>     I have to do my diploma work and I have to us an USRP to make an
> application, to be able to read some data from a hardware, to show how it
> can be integrated in a system, I'not giving any more details because it's
> not important. My whole project will be written in VisualStudio this is why
> I want to use the Windows environment.

USRP1 support in UHD depends on libusb-1.0, which currently only has
windows support in beta form. Therefore, I would only recommend using
USRP1 with UHD in windows if you're willing to deal with experimental
dependencies. Until the windows backend in libusb becomes stable
(hopefully in the next few months), most USRP1 windows users will be
better served by the gnuradio driver, which uses libusb-win32.

>     My USRP1 is running, powered, but what's next? I tried to install GNU
> Radio with CygWin and MinGW but no success, then I read something related to
> UHD, but it's not clear, how much support it brings for USRP1, and what I
> will be able to do, or how to use it.

Hopefully, in time, timestamped sample support for the USRP1 will be
added to UHD. In the meantime, USRP1 features in UHD and GNU Radio are
identical, though with different host side implementations.

>     Could anyone (those who have installed successfully GNU Radio or used
> UHD) to explain in some big (or detaild) steps what they have done.

Perhaps you could mention what specific problems you ran into while
installing GNU Radio?

  Tom