Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - September 23rd 2010

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Announcement - September 23rd 2010
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:01:23 -0700

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:24:18AM -0700, Josh Blum wrote:
> This turns out to be a bug in gnuradio configure  - when --prefix is
> not specified with ./configure, the ${prefix} variable is set to
> NONE

Listen guys, you may not like this behavior, but it's not a bug.
If you read the makefile standards, it's to allow a package to be
installed into a different location at "make install" time.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg15772.html
>
> The following code with yeild a PKG_CONFIG_PATH of NONE/lib/pkgconfig
>
> >dnl add ${prefix}/lib${gr_libdir_suffix}/pkgconfig to the head of the
> >PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> >if test x${PKG_CONFIG_PATH} = x; then
> >    PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${prefix}/lib${gr_libdir_suffix}/pkgconfig
> >else
> >
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${prefix}/lib${gr_libdir_suffix}/pkgconfig:${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}
> >fi
> >export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

There definitely shouldn't be any PKG_CONFIG_PATH special case
handling for anything in grc_<component_name>.m4.

A ton of effort was put into making the building system work reliably
and consistently (mostly by Michael Dickens).  A lot of the details
are quite subtle, and the effort took a long time to stabilize, and
has proven itself to work on a wide variety of OS's and distributions.
All of the grc_<component_name>.m4's should follow the same pattern.
There shouldn't be any divergence in the boilerplate.

I removed the offending code because it was causing my build to break,
and noticed at that time that it shouldn't have been there in the
first place.

Eric