Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] File sink causes "S" errors

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] File sink causes "S" errors
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:10:13 -0700

Can you benchmark your hard disk for sustained rate?

I don't think that most disks, even SSD,s can sustain a write rate of 25Msps @ 4 bytes a sample (if you are capturing shorts) = 100MB/s

-Josh

On 10/05/2010 06:35 PM, Thomas Hobiger wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am running a USRP2 with a DBSRX and talking to the hardware via raw
ethernet. Running GRC goes well (e.g. doing a real-time FFT spectrum),
but when I start recording on disc I get many "S" messages ("2
successive packets which do not have 2 successive sequence numbers")
after about 10 seconds. I am currently sampling with a decimation of 4,
but the problem remains with other decimation factors as wekk, just the
messages show up slightly delayed. I think the HD itself is not the
reason as I am recording to a 80 GB SSD, which has EXT4 and is mounted
in a quite fast mode (I have benchmarked the I/O giving me much more
bandwidth than what streams in from the USRP2).
I have started to modify parts of the GNURADIO code, but changing buffer
sizes does not help much.

Is there anybody who experienced similar troubles?

Regards,
Thomas Hobiger