Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD:SingleUSRP and buffer allocation policy

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD:SingleUSRP and buffer allocation policy
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:42:49 -0700

Hard to get objective numbers, but it seems like there's no difference
whether I have the audio sub-graph enabled or
   disabled.

The absolute minimum latency I can observe is about 1 second or so, with
an input recv_buff_size=2500.

I know that there's buffering in the USRP2, but not that much--32K?
  Less?  More?  Even so, at my sample rate, 32K is
   only about 20ms of latency.

The host cannot back-pressure the USRP2, and the buffering in the USRP2 itself if negligible. So, all of the backing-up that is going to happen occurs in the host when you dont read data out fast enough.

The UHD-USRP2 receive path has two buffers that fill when calls to recv() dont keep up. One is the socket buffer in the kernel, and the other is a UHD allocated buffer that hangs onto frames from the socket->receive() call. Both of those drop when filled, so any further buffering/latency you are seeing is happening in gnuradio.

You can manipulate the socket buffer size and the number of frames: http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/transport.html#transport-parameters

-Josh