Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] remark on custom block + python behavior on Beagl

From: Patrick Yeon
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] remark on custom block + python behavior on Beagleboard
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:00:04 -0400

On 10/25/2010 11:38 AM, Almohanad Fayez wrote:
I was able to finally fix this problem by writing a script that deletes
all of the pyc and pyo files associated with my library and flowgraph.
my question is, is this a know python issue, an issue with the custom
gnuradio block, or an issue with the platform? I managed to recreate
this problem using the custom block 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 templates and I was
also able to recreate it by using the original how to square a number
example.

Python is supposed to delete those .pyc and .pyo files whenever you ask it to run a matching .py file, _if_ the .py file is younger. Otherwise, it assumes you haven't changed the .py file, and saves a bit of time by jumping straight to the compiled files. One time where I've seen similar behaviour is when the .py is a symlink (link.py -> real.py, say). Opening and modifying link.py changes the modification time of real.py, but not link.py, so if you ask python to compile link.py, it still looks older than link.pyc that it created before you modified anything.

It's possible there are other situations where this would happen, that's just the one time that I remember it happening to me.

--
Patrick Yeon
ThinkRF