Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel "Stellarton" Configurable Processor (for SD

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel "Stellarton" Configurable Processor (for SDR?)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:52:49 +0100

On 10/28/2010 01:25 PM, Brian Padalino wrote:
I don't know where I've been, but this is the first time I've seen
anything about the announcement:

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-stellarton-atom-e600fpga-promises-flexible-embedded-devices-14102251/

While the Atom processor is not very powerful, pairing it with a full
fledged FPGA sounds promising for SDR that can work using fixed-point
algorithms.

Has anyone else heard about this processor?  Is anyone else interested in it?

I heard about it the other day from a friend involved in the video business. It is not clear from the press release if they expose IO's for connecting to data converters though. The combination is interesting for a number of applications, but for SDR you really want the data converters directly connected to the FPGA.

Philip

I saw Altera is going to release Qsys which will support the
processor/FPGA design flow:

http://www.altera.com/b/embedded-fpga-design-flow.html?GSA_pos=1&WT.oss_r=1&WT.oss=qsys

What are other people's thoughts?

Brian