Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] William & Alexander Hope this helps ...

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] William & Alexander Hope this helps ...
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 23:32:13 -0800

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 22:14 -0500, alexander levedahl wrote:
> Thank you for the guide.  But I already have GNU radio installed, it
> is GNU radio companion that is causing the problems, I have an older
> version, but I am not sure if I can upgrade to the new one because I
> can't find any instructions on how to do it online.  Whatever version
> I have was installed about a month ago, so I don't think there has
> been a major upgrade since then.  The version of grc that I have is
> 0.70-6.fc12.  I do appreciate the help guide.
>
> Alex

Alex,

As Josh mentioned earlier, that version of GRC is ludicrously out of
date and won't work. It is strictly a relic of Fedora's package
maintainers and should probably be uninstalled. Later versions of
Gnuradio include GRC as part of the bundle, and so installing Gnuradio
also gets you GRC. That's why you can't find a GRC install guide.

Mr. Pretty's build guide will also install GRC from source as part of
the process (as it is bundled with Gnuradio) and so following it should
get you the most up-to-date Gnuradio/GRC installation. I recommend
taking the plunge and installing from Git. As his guide is tailored to
Ubuntu, the steps required will differ only in that you will have to
install the packages mentioned in steps 6 and 7 via yum, the Fedora
package manager. The names of the packages may differ, but you can
always use the graphical package management tool to find the most
up-to-date packages for your system.

No, it is not a single-click operation, but hey, it's free. Until we get
around to implementing Clippy for Gnuradio, it will still take some
Linux skills to utilize effectively.

--n