Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP E100 Product Announcement

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP E100 Product Announcement
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:00:56 +0400

On Nov 23, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Douglas Geiger wrote:

> On 11/22/2010 9:29 PM, Matt Ettus wrote:

>> 1> USRP E100 Now on Sale
>>
>> We are pleased to introduce another new addition to the USRP family of
>> products. The USRP E100 software radio is an embedded stand-alone system
>> powered by the combination of a Gumstix Overo board with 720 MHz OMAP3
>> (containing both an ARM Cortex A8 processor & TI C64x+ DSP) and a
>> Xilinx Spartan 3A-DSP1800 FPGA.
>
> What sort of connection exists between the Overo and the rest of the
> system (e.g. is this using USB, high speed serial, etc.?)? In
> particular what sort of bandwidth is possible from the
> ADC->FPGA->Gumstix. Obviously the larger FPGA allows for some extra
> signal processing to be done before the gumstix, but does the gumstix
> then see the mainboard as an USRP1-like source (i.e. 16-bit samples @
> 8MS/s), or is the bandwidth/bits-per-sample easily adjustable?

I too would like to know what type of connectivity is used to interface with
the Overo. The fastest possible interface would probably be using its GPMC
controller to interface with the FPGA, but on the Overo COMs not all the pins
required are exposed, I think.

The other options would be SPI or USB.

Elvis Dowson