Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TPB scheduler fills block buffers

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TPB scheduler fills block buffers
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:24:34 -0800

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 11:36:19AM +0100, Anton Blad wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:30:11 -0800, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 08:42:14AM +0100, antonb wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am writing an application for which I want to keep the latency to a
> >> minimum, and this involves trying to keep the buffers between the
> blocks
> >> as
> >> empty as possible. Basically, I have a source block with an element
> size
> >> of
> >> 512 bytes that accepts data through a public member function. If there
> is
> >> no data to transmit it will produce one empty packet to keep the USRP
> >> busy.
> >> The scheduler keeps asking for 64 items and I give it one. This goes on
> >> until its write buffer is full. The processing latency (from the source
> >> block to the USRP) of the first items is a few ms, but this grows to
> well
> >> over a second due to the large amounts of buffered data.
> >>
> >> Looking at the behavior of the single threaded scheduler, it seems it
> is
> >> trying to keep the latency low by only requesting data from source
> blocks
> >> when the other blocks fail to produce anything. However, the thread per
> >> block scheduler does not seem to care about whether a block is a source
> >> block or not. Is there any way I can configure it to do this? Is there
> >> any
> >> other approach for solving this problem?
> >>
> >> Thankful for any help,
> >> Anton Blad
> >
> > Hi Anton,
> >
> > There's been some discussion about this over the past few months.
> > Probably the easiest way to fix this problem is to limit the usable
> > size of the buffers in the processing chain.  This is a relatively
> > small change, that would allow an application developer to control the
> > worst case amount of buffering that is used in the graph.  By default,
> > we allocate buffers on the order of 32KiB, then double that size so
> > that we can double buffer under the TPB scheduler. (Optimizing for
> > throughput.)
> >
> > The current implementation requires that the physical size of the
> > buffers be a multiple of the page size.  The fix I'm proposing leaves
> > that constraint in place (it's hard to remove for a variety of
> > reasons), but allows the specification of a limit on the total number
> > of samples allowed in the buffer.  Thus, if want low latency, you
> > could specify a limit of 512 bytes (or less for that matter), and the
> > total buffering would be drastically reduced from what's currently
> > used.
> >
> > I won't have time to look at this until after the new year, but if
> > you're interested in looking at it, the primary place to look is
> > gnuradio-core/src/lib/runtime/gr_buffer.{h,cc}.  Basically you'd want
> [...]

If it can be done cleanly and simply in a way that doesn't reduce the
performance too much (say 3%) for those who are using "flooding", then
I think we'd consider it.  The measure of performance should be total
CPU time (== user + sys).

I do have some questions about how you'd tune the "active_blocks" and
"num_samples" cases...

Eric