[Discuss-gnuradio] time to reconfigure a block in flowgraph

From: Steve Mcmahon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] time to reconfigure a block in flowgraph
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:32:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello:

I need some help on a timing issue.

I have a timer running on a separate thread which changes parameters in my flow
graph every 100ms or 200ms. When I change the frequency of my Signal Source by
using gr.sig_source_c.set_frequency(), the timer thread is still able to fire
every 100ms or 200ms and change the tone frequency every cycle. However, when I
try to also change the center frequency in the timer thread with
usrp2.sink_32fc.set_center_freq(), it cannot keep up and often takes more than
100ms or 200ms.

How long do functions such as usrp2.sink_32fc.set_center_freq() take to
execute? Do I need to to gr.lock() and gr.unlock() my flowgraph before changing
these kind of parameters? How can I change parameters every 100ms?

I'm running GNU Radio 3.3.0 on Linux.

Thanks for your help.

Steve McMahon