Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on virtual linux?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on virtual linux?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:31:01 -0500

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM, alirazib <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have managed to install gnuradio 3.3.0 on my Windows machine with Cygwin,
> although some of the components like gr-usrp2, usrp2, grc, wxgui etc. could
> not be installed. Then I needed to install drivers for USRP2. The apparent
> complexity involved in installing UHD drivers on Windows is actually making
> me rethink. I am thinking of installing a virtual linux environment (like,
> Portable Ubuntu, Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWire) on my Windows OS and then
> trying out the gnuradio and USRP2 packages designed for Ubuntu. Could anyone
> suggest me if that would be a good idea? If so, then which virtual machine
> should I choose?
>
> Thanks,
> Ali

Ali,
I can't speak for which VM to use in Windows, but I run VM's all the
time for testing out GNU Radio on different versions of Linux and they
work fine. There have been issues in the past with I/O to devices;
specifically USB2.0 support. These have almost certainly been worked
out, but I bring it up as something to keep an eye on when deciding
which VM to use.

Tom