Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Open-Hardware"

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Open-Hardware"
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:32:40 +0100

On 12.01.2011 00:13, Patrick Strasser wrote:

> You need the decimation on the device side of the USB connection to
> reduce the amount of data sent over it. The absolute limit isbetween 32
> an about 40MiByte/sec. Divided by 16bit=2byte per sample is 16-20MSPS
> real-valued or 8-10MSPS complex-valued. Either you reduce the sampling
> rate or you decimate. That rate should be more than sufficient for all

Yes, for home use this rate is quite Ok. I think my PC could handle DDC and FFT
at this rate, except some more complex operations.

> but the most demanding experiments. The only common interesting signals
> that need more bandwidth are TV (6-8MHz), GPS (2-20MHz?), WLAN (20MHz),
> All of them in higher bands, where mixing the signal down into the ADC
> frequency range would be needed.

My interest is to use such a device as a signal analyzer, waterfall diagram,
spectrum analyzer, signal recorder, logic analyzer etc.
At home I could never afford a professional one. At the moment I have only my
old analogous Oscilloscope. But advances in technology ...

> An other way would be to change the interface, which would very likely
> be Gigabit-Ethernet.

Maybe an FPGA Experimentation kit could be extended with an RF/Sampling part:

$400 price class, includes PowerPC, 64 DSP slices,
Gigabit Ethernet, 64 MB RAM, just RF part and A/D converters are missing:
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-products/fpga-pld-products/4103784/-395-Virtex-5-FXT-FPGA-evaluation-kit

Ok, not Open-Source hardware, but at least cheaper than USRP2.