[Discuss-gnuradio] line codes and FSM/Trellis

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] line codes and FSM/Trellis
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:37:01 +0100

Hello List!

Half a year ago I read about Miller/Delay coding. Achilleas
Anastasopoulos wrote[1] that this encoding can bescribed by a FSM
(finite state machine) and decoded with a trellis decoder.
Now it would be great to have GNU Radio capable to decode any given line
code, framing, convolution, interleaving, FEC and whatever stop or
procedure common nowadays. We have some framers, FEC blocks,
differential blocks, framers/deframes, clock recovery.
I'm interrested at first in line codes.

Now what I wonder is:
Can every common line code be represented by a FSM?
Can every common line code be decoded by a trellis decoder?
Can anyone give me a pointer for literature?
What would be the easiest way to implement a _encoder_ in GNU Radio.

Regards

Patrick

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.radio.general/27540/focus=27555
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>
Student of Telematics, Graz University of Technology, Austria