Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:45:12 -0500

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Ben Hilburn <address@hidden> wrote:
> A GNU Radio conference is an awesome idea, in my opinion, and I think
> the September time-frame is a good one.
>
> I like points 1-5 a lot, and I'll second your idea of some sort of
> hacking session. I've heard of companies/communities holding
> 'hack-a-thons', where a large group of developers marathons for 6-8
> hours to close as many tickets as possible / add new features / etc.
> If there are sponsors of any type, you could hold occasional drawings,
> provide caffeine, food, etc., to keep the devs going.
>
> If we are going to have that many developers in one place, it might be
> a fun way to make a lot of progress on GNU Radio very quickly.  Just a
> thought =)
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Thanks, Ben. Yes, we will try to make sure there is room and time set
aside for people to hack. I too have known various businesses who have
had very good luck (in terms of product output and improved morale)
with hack-a-thons. I don't think this is going to be the focus of the
conference, though. Then again, depending on space availability, we
might try to keep a room for an extra day for people to stick around
and work on some projects together. I'll keep that in mind.

Tom