Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TI vs Freescale DSP for open-source development

From: Almohanad Fayez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TI vs Freescale DSP for open-source development
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:59:36 -0500 (EST)

okay here are my 2 cents

2- TI actually offers all the tools you need to develop for their DSP for free, I can vouch for the C64x+ DSP since that's what I have experience using.  You can download and look at the supported DSP for the free download from
http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_registered_sw/sdo_sb/targetcontent/

The biggest issue you might run into with the free software is the ability to use a JTAG, if you want to use a JTAG you have to use Code Composer period.  Though I've read about people using the free demo version of Code Composer (CCS) 4.0 with a very cheap JTAG ( < $150) to debug their DSP code.  I think TI restricts the type of DSPs and JTAGs you can use with the free CCS I know that the JTAG I use (XDS560) is not supported.

3- TI support for open source is surprisingly decent.  I've posted many questions on their support forums and TI engineers have always gotten back to me with alot of good information and continued asnwering as posted more follow up questions.

4- The learning tool has a bit of a learning curve that's for sure.  I have posted a github link on the listserv yesterday which includes new custom blocks for GNU Radio using the C64x+ DSP.  You might find the guide helpful in shedding some light about developing with TI tools.

6- I've been using TI software as an open source developer for almost 1.5 years now and I think they've managed to find a great balance between being a for profit company and a supplier of tools for the open source community.  I don't have experience with freescale but my experience with TI has been a positive one.

al fayez