[Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS

From: Florian Eugen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:41:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

   As I mentioned a few times here, I really can't install that GNU Radio in Windows environment (I followed all steps found in those descriptions regarding, how to install it with MinGW or CygWin). So I have to give it up and try to focuse on other solutions like UHD or maybe others. What I want to do is to make some simple data transfers on different frequencies, basic communication with some modules made by me. Really I don't need all that python stuff and all those dependencies problems. I was even thinking to control USRP from my application, it would be much faster than using Python, but how to write the firmware into the FPGA. OK, I got it, through that nice USB transceiver. After installing the USB driver when the USRP1 is connected to the PC it shows up the device with that FFFE VID and 0002 PID. Could anybody tell me what to do from this point to be able to program the firmware into the FPGA or maybe to change the firmware of the EZ-USB FX2 transceiver? I suppose after I will program the rbf file into the FPGA I could start to get and set things, send orders to the board to set frequency, decimation, sampling rate or read/write raw data. Commands to drive the USRP1 and my WBX daughterboard I could get from written source code (ex: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/repositories/entry/gnuradio/usrp/host/lib/db_wbxng.cc), anyway I'll start to make the whole program with the help of FreePascal.

  A second alternative would be to use UHD (documentation is very poor) because it has support for USRP1, but after I read that I would have to get I don't know what program to do something with the source code and to compile the UHD source code and other steps I started to think if it's a good idea, maybe I will have the same problems encountered when installing GNU Radio on Windows OS, why couldn't they provide a simple DLL file for using it on all Win OS's. Could anybody tell me how does UHD behave in Win OS? It's easy to use it?

As a final answer, based on my description I do expect too much from this USRP1+WBX hardware or there are other people heaving the same problems?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Florian Eugen.