Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with 3.3.0 howto-write-a-block

From: honglonglong
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with 3.3.0 howto-write-a-block
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:44:31 +0800

First of all, thank you for such detailed instruction. However I am
confused at some of this (I am really a starter):

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 10:50 +0100, Martin Braun wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 05:21:11PM +0800, honglonglong wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am new to gnuradio and studying the "How to write a block" article
> > written by Eric Blossom in 2004. However, I am using the latest version
> > 3.3.0 of the source code of howto-write-a-block and find differences in
> > codes and article.
> >
> > When the article says the qa_howto.py would fail for no module named
> > howto, my version of qa_howto.py runs correctly.
> >
> > I find instead of importing howto module, the 3.3.0 version imports
> > howto_swig. Is this the cause of the problem? Is the article still valid
> > for 3.3.0 version?
>
> Hi honglonglong,
>
> quite a bit has changed from when that article was written. Most
> concepts are still valid (e.g. QA test code, and the idea of sync-blocks),
> but a lot of the details have changed.
>
> First of all, remember that gr-howto-write-a-block is more than just an
> example, you can use it as a template for writing your own out-of-tree
> modules. So you can immediately start writing code and using it with
> your GNU Radio installation. So perhaps it isn't really necessary to
> understand all of the details.
>
> I recommend startіng like this:
> - Create your own module using the create-gnuradio-out-of-tree-project
>   command. This will rename the module from 'howto' to something else.
> - Give it a try, compile the entire thing and run the qa code.
> - Add a block of your own. You can use gr_modtool.py from
>   https://www.cgran.org/wiki/devtools, which automatically updates your
>   Makefiles and creates skeleton code for a new block.
Can I still follow the tutorial howto to add this block? I also try the
gr_modtool.py. I copy it to the system's search path /usr/lib64 but when
I run the command it says command not found. Is it anything wrong?
>   If you're completely new to all of this, start with a sync_block. This
>   means you produce as many output items as you have input items.
> - Write some QA code, then write some signal processing code. Start with
>   something simple.
Is there any new-version tutorial? Or I should just try on my own.