Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build error: test_gruel.o: undefined reference to

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build error: test_gruel.o: undefined reference to symbol 'boost::system::get_system_category()'
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:40:53 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 06:09, Sim IJskes <address@hidden> wrote:

> This problem should be solved when you have applied the patch i posted in:

Thanks for your patch; it shows how to correct the problem in one area.

Tom and I are trying to work out how to solve this in a more general
way so it doesn't require as many individual edits to Makefile.am
linker flags definitions in the different places the problem occurs.
Part of the delay as well is for me to setup the appropriate test
environment to both verify the problem and regression test the fixes.

For those just joining, what's happened is that the Debian project
(and hence Ubuntu and other derivatives) has finally pulled the
trigger on a change in linking options:

http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking

...and in several places in our build we are relying on the old behavior.

The Fedora project has also done this (thanks Alex for the link):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking

Tom--this is also going to affect 3.3.1.  We might as well fix things
on the old master-3.3 branch and merge up to the current master, then
produce a 3.3.2 alongside 3.4.0.

Johnathan