[Discuss-gnuradio] why changing decimation in benchmark_rx.py affects SN

From: William Cox
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] why changing decimation in benchmark_rx.py affects SNR so much?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:06:12 -0400

I'm running a link via benchmark_tx and benchmark_rx files. They are both running at 1e6 symbols/sec and a 5 Mhz carrier. The settings are default otherwise. I've noticed that when I change the decimation rate at the receiver, the SNR changes quite a bit while keeping BER the same. I would think with a 1 Msps BPSK, I'd need about 2 MHz of bandwidth at the receiver, but if I increase my bandwidth to 8 MHz the SNR will increase by 3-4 dB while the BER remains the same. Why is this?
Also, what practical affects should I see from changing the RRC filter rolloff?
Thanks.
-William