Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP n210 confusion

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP n210 confusion
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:57:33 +0200

Hi Jaco,

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:58:21AM +0200, Jaco Meintjes wrote:
> I am new to gnuradio and uhd. If the n210 is a "uhd only device" what did
> previous devices use? I am asking because I am aware that the usrp2 python
> examples don't work with the uhd images.

They used libusrp, a proprietary driver that came with GNU Radio.
Now, there's UHD, which is independent, and GNU Radio has wrappers for
UHD.

> What I understand from the post at http://old.nabble.com/
> Status-of-UHD-supporting-GNU-Radio-Python-Examples-td30829593.html is that uhd
> does not yet support python. Is this correct? If not how does one modify the
> usrp2 python examples to be compatible with uhd and does this mean that
> gnuradio-companion is not supported by uhd? If my assumption is correct I take
> it one can only write uhd applications in cpp??? Would it still be possible to
> use the gnuradio signal processing blocks within these applications as they
> are
> cpp as well?

If you're using the current master, don't worry. You can simply use UHD
with GRC provided everything's installed correctly (when you run
./configure, it lists the modules which will be installed and UHD should
be one of them).

I recommend ignoring anything non-UHD. Just make sure it's all
installed, fire up GRC (or Python) and start hacking.

Cheers,
MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)