Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 18:32:45 -0400

How do the companies write closed-source drivers for the Linux Kernel
without running into GPL2 issues? I can only recall that there is a
"user-land" and a "kernel-land" driver, where the "kernel-land" is the
only part that is open source. Is this correct?

Perhaps that method could work well?

I thought GPLV2 was less onerous in this regard, and that case-law had established that a loadable kernel driver didn't necessarily get
  infected by the GPL virus.  IANAL.  TINLA.  Etc.

The last kernel driver I worked on we were planning to open-source as a way of encouraging people to buy our (very closed-source!) chips.
  Project fell apart before we hit market.  Sigh.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator