Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA mo

From: Alexander Chemeris
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA mo
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 21:30:48 +0400

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 21:04, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm not sure whether to post this to GnuRadio or to USRP-users, so I
>> post it here.
>>
>> We've started a project to implement a custom SDR hardware (which we
>> plan to open-source later) and we want to reuse as much of USRP FPGA
>> code as possible. But it will require a good deal of customization as
>> well.
>>
>> So, we're looking for an advice on how to structure our relations with
>> the upstream (i.e. GnuRadio/USRP) the best way. I.e. where should we
>> place our code and how to ensure our code will be accepted to the
>> mainline, etc?
>>
> I can't answer the questions about where to best place the code in the tree,
> but maintaining compatibility with the
>  UHD wire protocol and API would really help make it easy to integrate into
> Gnu Radio.  Matt can comment on
>  UHD licensing for projects like this, I'm sure.

To make it more clear - we intend to keep all VRT/UHD related FPGA
code in place and just replace/change interaction with RF part. May be
we'll have to slightly extend VRT/UHD code for our specific purposes,
but it will be minor changes.

In other words - all our changes will be to support a new platform
seamlessly with existing UHD code.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.