Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to speed up spectrum sensing?

From: devin kelly
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to speed up spectrum sensing?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 21:25:12 -0400

Well if you're sensing a 40 MHz band you have to retune.  The largest band you can sense without retuning is about 25 MHz.

Also I would try higher FFT sizes, like 1024, 2048, or 4096.  Watch your CPU load when you run your script, your processor probably isn't slowing you down even with large FFT sizes.

I highly suggest you look at tune delay and dwell delay, manipulating those can really speed up your sensing times.  The tune delay you can only set to be so low without corrupting your data.  However, the dwell delay you can set to be as low as one sweep, it all depends on how much averaging you want to do.  Look at the code where it deals with the delay times.

Also, just how fast do you need this to be?  You should be able to do thousands of sweeps in less than a second if I remember correctly.

Devin