Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 performance analysis: pin Oscilloscope o

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 performance analysis: pin Oscilloscope on IF
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:01:27 -0400

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Colby Boyer <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Marius <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> - To my background there's to say - before you read this - I'm just a
>> software-dev. I have little expertise when it comes to hardware.
>>
>> I  support the development of a real-time application that uses
>> 802.15.4 on an AT86230RF Chip. That RF chip is IEEE 802.15.4-2003
>> compliant.
>> It has got a data-rate of 250 kBit/s. Let's say I want to send 10
>> Byte. 2 Bytes CRC are added, and 6 Bytes from the Physical Layer
>> (Preambel + Length Field + Delimeter).
>> So I send 144 Bits (12 Byte PSDU are 12 *8 and 48 Bytes Physical Layer
>> due 6 * 8). Theoretically I get 0,576 ms per transmission using 250
>> Kbit/s: 1/250k*144*10^3.
>>
>> Now... I use my USRP with an XCVR, start the sender, and record some
>> transmissions into cfiles. I plot the Q channel, and calculate the
>> transmission lengh: like how many samples do I see with a high
>> amplitude relative to the sample-rate. That's when the RF chip is
>> active. I get 3,45 ms.
>>
>> So the difference between what I theoretically can assume as TX time,
>> and what I see in reality is abnormally high.
>>
>> My questions:
>> 1.) Can I use an Oscilloscope to find out whether there's signal on
>> IF. The Oscilloscope operates on something like 100 MHz, so I want the
>> down-scaled frequency.
>> I read that the RF frontend down-scales to the ADC. I can pin-point
>> the microcontroller with the chip. Can I also pin-point the USRP2 with
>> the XCVR (or RFX)? I could correlate the state-changes of the RF Chip
>> that way.
>>
>> 2.) I suspect the differences result from state-changes on the RF chip
>> (PLL_ON -> TX). Is anybody aware of a similar performance analysis on
>> Zigbee for real-time applications? As I stated out I'm not a
>> hardware-expert.
>>
>> 3.) I use the Gnuradio Companion, and record from the USRP2 directly
>> into a cfile. Is there any way to apply a filter to be able to
>> automatically detect the start and end point of a high-amplitude that
>> represents sending activity? I tried to use the integrator to lower
>> the amplitude (I'm not interested in demodulation at this point, just
>> tx start and end). But that doesn't work very well.
>>
>> I hope my terminology isn't too crude ;)
>>
>> Best,
>> Marius
>

> Marius,
> While I _think_ there is a way to do what you are asking in 1 and 2, I
> really can't remember right now, nor am I at a spot where I can looking into
> it. I'm also trying to think if that's really your best bet for learning
> what you are looking for, but at least it will be educational :)
> As for 3., that's a bit difficult. You can do all sorts of things to detect
> if you have a signal or not. The most agnostic way is to use a power
> detector with a threshold level. We have a squelch block for this.
> [...]

I took a quick look at the 15.4 standard, your best bet for finding a
802.151.4 frame is to search for the preamble of each packet. As Tom
mentioned, the maximum likelihood (ML) detector for this is a matched
filter. Which in math terms is the magnitude of the correlation
(sliding inner product)  between the known preamble sequence and your
received signal. The point with the largest magnitude is the start of
the 15.4 frame.

Since 15.4 works off of a spread spectrum system, this magnitude peak
should be very well defined and look like a large spike (pretty sure
this is correct, Tom?). If there is no frame, the correlation should
just appear as random noise.

Yes, I think that's correct. If you are critically sampled, then it should look like a large spike when you get the hit.

Tom

I suggest that you download the standard from IEEE and figure out the
preamble sequence.

--Colby