Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable

From: Josef Vukovic
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 02:15:03 +0200

2011/6/8 Songsong Gee <address@hidden>
I have a question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable offered by Ettus

Does this cable have an antenna effect?
In other words, if I use this cable, receive gain or some performance measure is better than what I expected due to this cable becoming a kind of antenna.
Currently I'm looking for a certain cable which does not have such effect for very wide frequency range including very low frequency range i.e. DC to 400-500 MHz

--
Seokseong Jeon (aka Songsong Gee)

Hello Songsong,

I have made an easy near field probe for such observations, it is easy to make!
You need a core (ferite or iron) on which sould be winded some copperwire.
I have used a amidon FT37-61 core with 8 windings conectet to a BNC this works
for frequencies up to 200MHz, but amidon has other cores suitable for handling
greater frequencies. The next is you should have some thing for meassuring the
Voltage (use a scope or a simple detector).
So if you go along the coaxcable with the probe and you see an increased voltage,
something would be faulty. :-(

regards
Josef Vukovic