[Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about RAW ethernet driver, UHD and firmware

From: Nemanja Trecakov
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about RAW ethernet driver, UHD and firmware
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 18:52:30 +0100

Hi list,

My name is Nemanja and I am working on my master theisis using USRP2 with XCVR2450, using Ubuntu 10.04 and gnuradio 3.3.0. However, I am new to GNU radio and I need help to understand some basic things in order to continue. I tried the gnuradio-wiki, mailing lists and google with no success. I would be very thankful if somebody could enlighten me.

1)      I want to implement some extra things in FPGA, by adding some extra features with Xilinx ISE 12.4 in the current FPGA image.

However, on the link: http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/public/wiki/U2binaries,

Raw Ethernet Driver and Universal Hardware Driver are mentioned. I have read that UHD is the recommended one.

- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between these two, WHAT ARE THEY USED FOR and HOW CAN ONE USE THEM?

2 )  On the link: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/USRP2GenFAQ

there is a small list of some important trunk USRP2 code which is recommended for reading in order to understand USRP2 architecture, configuration and operation.
Quote: “In the FPGA code, the tx_control.v and rx_control.v show inband signalling, dsp_core_rx and dsp_core_tx show the DSP, and u2_core.v is the top level.

In the firmware, start with txrx.c.”

-         WHERE CAN I FIND THESE FILES?

-         WHAT IS AND WHAT DOES THE FIRMWARE DO, IN THIS CASE?

-         ISN’T THE FIRMWARE “GLUED” TOGETHER WITH FPGA IMAGE IN THE SD CARD ON SOME WAY?

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Nemanja Trecakov