Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_freq_xlating_fir_filter usage

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_freq_xlating_fir_filter usage
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:35:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the gr_xlating_fir_filter, how do I correctly use the center-frequency
> parameter?
>
> If I have a signal that is at 5MHz from baseband center, do I specify -5MHz
> as the center-frequency?  Or do I use the
>  "positive sense"??

Hi Marcus,

It is the "negative sense" so you specify -5 MHz in order to tune to
+5 MHz from center. I think it is because in practice it
shifts/rotates the whole spectrum, so to get +5MHz down to 0 we have
to shift 5 MHz in the negative direction.
In a way calling it center is a bit misleading.

Alex