Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Extending UHD Device Support

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Extending UHD Device Support
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:46:23 -0400

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Wilson, Jeffery (DS-1)
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Designation: Non-SSA/Finmeccanica
>
> Matt,
>
> Thank you for your response. We will certainly be sure to abide by any and
> all licensing requirements as we move forward.
>
> As for now I would like to develop a simple source block (without using UHD)
> for our radio so I can at least do something like a basic FFT display as a
> proof of concept that we can in fact get our radio working in some way with
> GNU Radio. Is there anywhere I can find help/guidance specific to creating
> new source blocks other than picking apart the current ones? If not, which
> block(s) would be a good starting place?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Most of the hardware interfaces we have consist of a hardware
interface library (call it drs0) and a GNU Radio wrapper block around
that one that would be called gr-drs0. The gr-drs0 is structured in a
standard GNU Radio format. It inherits from a gr_block (actually, it's
usually a gr_sync_block), has a constructor to initialize the device
through the drs0 library, and has a work function that either gets
samples to push onto the flow graph for a receiver or takes samples
from a flow graph and sends them to the device for a transmitter. This
will also have wrapper accessors to get and set the properties of the
device, like frequency, gain, etc.

If you want to have a quick hack at it without the UHD, you can look
at how things were done with usrp and gr-usrp (or usrp2 and gr-usrp2),
which are both in the GNU Radio source tree.

If you can work with the UHD, though, I would recommend doing so. It
would make integration into GNU Radio projects much simpler.

Tom