Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "superblock" concept / idea

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "superblock" concept / idea
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:00:20 -0400

As I've thought about what you wrote, Nick, the more I like it.  As you say, it
won't work for every block -- but there are certain blocks that would benefit
from doing "in-place" computations, avoiding the extra 1 or 2 buffer copies per
call to "work".  And, the implementation needs to be transparent to the
end-user (e.g., using GRC; it should be entirely "under the hood" changes).

As for implementation in GNU Radio: I think what you're thinking of doing is 2
parts: (1) for "in-place" type blocks, they just get input buffer(s), no output
buffer(s) (since they re-use the input buffers for the in-place computation).
(2) duplicate all input buffer(s) for blocks to which this block is connected
-- thus the need for multiple writers for a given buffer.  Is this roughly the
concept?

I certainly hope to be at the GNU Radio Conference, and would love to discuss
this & the other "under the hood" topics with you (& others). - MLD