Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] X-Ray flare observations with Gnu Radio software

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] X-Ray flare observations with Gnu Radio software
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:24:02 -0400

On 09/24/2011 08:14 PM, Pace VanDevender wrote:
Marcus, this is amazing data.  What frequencies are in your VLF band?

Pace

That particular trace was at 24KHz--looking at the NAA station in Cutler, Maine.

Here is the data for NML, at 25.2Khz, located in LaMour, North Dakota:

NML data for 20110924

You can see that the response is absorptive, rather than reflective, and less intense, along this very-much-longer path between
  my receiver and the transmitter in North Dakota.  In particular, the M7 at 15:20 UTC isn't even visible in this data, because the Sun
  angle at the transmitter site was probably "all wrong" to get a strong response at that time of day.

I monitor several different frequencies, and submit data to the Stanford SID data center every day.  With my 96KHz sound card, and loop
  antenna, I can "see" from a few hundred Hz to around 45KHz or so.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator