Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] X-Ray flare observations with GnuRadio software

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] X-Ray flare observations with GnuRadio software
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:50:22 +0300

Many thanks for the info.

Will try it!

Patrik
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 17:04

On 25/09/11 08:29 AM, Patrik Tast wrote:
Most interesting,

Tell us more how you did it.
- antenna used?
- daugherboard?
- etc

Many SDR users in Northern Scandinavia are up day and night listening on submarine traffic on VLF.

I use a square-loop antenna, roughly 1.5M in diameter.  I have roughly 80M of 22ga wire wound onto it.
  This feeds a Behringer Mini-Mic 800 microphone preamplifier, which is then fed into a 96KHz sound
  card--no USRP required.

The software I wrote for this I call SIDsuite.  It's available via GitHub:

https://github.com/patchvonbraun/SIDSuite

It works by measuring the received signal stength for various VLF transmitters--most of them are indeed
  submarine communications systems.   The signal strength follows a diurnal pattern involving solar
  radiation and the D and E layers of the ionosphere.  When there are strong solar X-ray events, that
  pattern is disturbed--sometimes spectacularly.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium