Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intermediate frequency question

From: Brook Lin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intermediate frequency question
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 16:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I am confused on this reply, posted on
http://old.nabble.com/Intermediate-frequency-question-td23514126.html#a32598120
. The reply said that "With the RFX2400, and most of the high frequency usrp
daughtercards,
there is no IF frequency". How is that possible? For RFX2400 the RF range is
from 2.3GHz to 2.9GHz, the ADC rate for USRP1 is 64MS/s. If there is no IF
frequency, the ADC rate is obviously too low. There must be RF front-end on
the daughterboard to tune the RF to the IF. Right? If so, my question is
what the IF is? Obviously, f_IF = f_RF - f_LO. (1) Are we setting the f_LO
when we tune the usrp by usrp.tune(self.u, 0, self.subdev, target_freq)? (2)
How to figure out f_IF for different daughterboards?

Thanks in advance,
Brook