Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New Product Announcements from Ettus Research

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New Product Announcements from Ettus Research
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:02:00 -0700

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Jeffrey Gregory <address@hidden> wrote:
The B100 looks appealing for an upgrade from my USRP1, but I have some
questions.  Since the B100 can accept 10MHz and PPS reference, is it
compatible with the GPSDO module?

It can accept 10 MHz and PPS from a GPSDO, but it doesn't have a serial port for position and time info.  You will also need to mount it externally.  So yes, you can use them together, but with some limitations.

 Also, the Spartan 3A-1400 looks to
be roughly twice as big as the cyclone FPGA on the USRP1, is that
correct?  The two main limitations of the USRP1 for me are the clock
stability (minor) and the the FPGA size (more significant).

The S3A-1400 has twice as many logic cells.  An even bigger difference is that it has 32 hard multiply units, while the cyclone had to use a lot of general logic resources in order to do multiplies.  So the capability is more like 3x.

The B100 will have much better clock stability (~2.5ppm over temperature) even without the GPSDO.

Matt