Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New build structure! (Warning #2)

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New build structure! (Warning #2)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:54:34 -0700

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

> Volk usually also fails on the old install, the problem is , I think it
> should detect that it was no good and take it out of the build entirely?

No, this is a bug that needs to be fixed. Please help. Provide compiler
version gcc --version and all error verbose. Thanks.

>> Also, cmake -DENABLE_VOLK=OFF <srcdir> will disable it.
>>
>> Yeah, found that when i posted the output of cmake to a file and read it,
> could there be some more intuitive way of finding this out than
> trial-and-error?

cmake-gui, ccmake (ncurses) would make it more obvious. Also future
documentation. :-)

> I think the configurescript should bypass the volk entirely when it cannot
> build it?

How can the configure know that volk cannot be built?

-Josh

Just reiterating what Josh said. We would love for the configuration process to know that your machine can't build Volk, but it has no way of knowing that. If your machine meets the dependencies, it will try to build it. Help us figure out why with a full error log.

Volk will have to be built, so turning it off isn't really going to be an option. We will be using volk inside gnuradio-core blocks as soon as we can. Once we've done that, you will need Volk to build or you won't be able to compile gnuradio-core. Again, help us figure out what's going wrong on your machine so we can get it to work.

Thanks!
Tom