Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues with benchmark_tx and benchmark_rx codes

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues with benchmark_tx and benchmark_rx codes
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:23:17 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Nazmul Islam <address@hidden> wrote:
Tom,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate it. I will upgrade to GNUradio 3.5. But I have a few more questions on the options.

1. Is there a roughly standard range of the option values that one should use? (the values of --tx-ampl, --tx-gain, --rx-gain, threshold, alpha, --costas-alpha, etc). For example, the values of alpha and thresh are given as 0.001 and 30 in the receive_path.py program. Shall I change these? If so, by how much? Are these values completely dependent on the local daughterboards?

No since this is going to depend more on what USRP and daughterboard you are using (or some other RF platform if it's not a USRP). We have not made any measurements or analysis of this (and if you do, I hope you will share it with the rest of us; since there are manufacturing tolerances on all of these, any measurement should also come with a range (max/avg/min)).

So right now, you're going to have to look at the output of your transmitter to see if there is any distortion and play with the signal levels to understand your system's behaviro.

2. Is there any file or document that describe these options in more details? From my communication systems course, I can roughly understand these options. But some options, e.g. the effect of --tx-ampl versus the effect of --tx-gain are not clear to me.

Any feedback will be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Nazmul

No, there is nothing on this, yet. You're right that there should be though...

For now (so as to be cataloged on this mailing list at least), the difference between --tx-ampl and --tx-gain is this.

--tx-gain is a USRP/HW setting. It is the gain value (in dB) that is applied by the analog stages of the USRP and daughterboard.

--tx-ampl is a digital setting that sets the scale of the transmitted signal. In the UHD world, all signals are between +/-1, so this scaling factor should be < 1.0.

Tom