[Discuss-gnuradio] PPM Signal Generation

From: Matthias Schäfer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] PPM Signal Generation
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:38:12 +0100

Hi,
is it possible to generate a PPM signal with GNU Radio + USRP2 with a bit rate of 1MBit/s?

In particular, I want to transmit Mode-S replies which are modulated using PPM on 1090Mhz. In order to do so, I have to send 0.5µs wide pulses with time-shifts of 0 µs or 0.5 µs.

The generation of samples on the host is of course no problem, and also the 1Gbit link to the SDR should suffice to transfer e.g. 4 samples/pulse. The question now is, whether the hardware (USRP2 + WBX Rev 2) is fast and accurate enough to produce the correct RF-signal.

I played a bit with 2 USRPs, the XCVR2400 (one as sender, one as receiver) and GRC but I wasn't able to generate a nice square-signal with a frequency of 1Ghz which would be very similar to the one I need.

So I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

Matthias