Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DC component

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DC component
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:17:50 -0500

> Please do not get me wrong. I believe that the work from Ettus and the
> contributors to GNU-Radio are revolutionary!  The equipment with the
> interface to GNU-Radio is not only priced at a level that is affordable to
> many amateurs and hobbyists, it opens up a brand new world for... (the list
> is too long to list here)
>
> In fact, I am so impressed that I desire to contribute to the community.
> First by contributing to these forums and second by eventually posting
> projects to CGRAN!
>
> My intent was to let Gaetano know of the potential for spurious signals so
> that he can properly select a center frequency that is free of these little
> nuisances.

Yup, understood.

At lot of the folks on this list come at SDR from a background in
software/digital, where the "vagaries" of
  the analog world are entirely foreign to them, and they may see the
existence of such things as "spurs" as
  some kind of horrible defect, rather than an inevitable annoyance.  So
I felt an explanatory note was in order.

Another subset on this forum come from a background where they're used
to dealing with lab-calibrated
  instruments that their corporate  lords and masters (or university
administration) have spent significant
  money on, so their performance expectations (along certain vectors,
anyway) will be driven by what they've
  seen their $40-$100K lab instruments do.

The ham radio community is used to dealing with this.  As radios became
more and more broadly-tunable,
  it was no big surprise that "birdies" (a peculiar ham-radio term for
"spurs") became more and more frequently
  observable, since it was no longer possible to "tune" the underlying
"birdy-producing" mechanisms to produce
  those "birdies" outside the band of interest, since the "band of
interest" became larger and larger.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium