Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:59:09 -0800

On 01/11/2012 01:39 PM, Ed Criscuolo wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I was just trying to install the GnuRadio 3.5.1 release tarball, and I
> found two problems:
>
> 1. The tarball does not appear to contain the CMakeLists.txt file.
>    This forces the use of the autotools instead of cmake.

I dont think this is a tarball of the source tree. Rather, its a tarball
produced by autotools with only files listed by makefile.ams or
generated in autotools.

> 2. After successfully installing UHD release 3.3.2,  the GnuRadio
>    configure script failed to configure gr-uhd.  The reported reason was
>    ==============================
>
>    configure:28430: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "uhd >=3.0.0 uhd
> < 4.0.0
>    Package libusb-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>    Package 'libusb-1.0' , required by 'UHD', not found.
>
>    ==============================
>
>    This error message is incorrect.  libusb-1.0-0 WAS installed.  What
>    was actually missing was libusb-1.0-0-dev.  Installing that package
>    allowed gr-uhd to be configured.

So UHD creates uhd.pc with the following line when orc and libusb are
found: Requires.private: libusb-1.0 orc-0.4

Technically, that seems to be the correct thing to do for pc files. But
the side effect seems to be that package config complains when it cant
find a pc file for the "Requires.private" entries. But you shouldnt
actually need the development libraries required by uhd to be installed
to develop against uhd.

I'm happy to not have UHD populate Requires.private if its just trouble.
In anycase, this probably isnt an issue with the gr tarball. A good test
of that might be to uninstall the libusb-1.0 dev and see if pkg-config
uhd --libs gives the same error. That way we can tell if auto* is doing
something different with pkg-config or not.

Maybe someone with more pkgconfig experience jump in here. :-)

-Josh