Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:07:27 -0800

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM, LRK <address@hidden> wrote:

 I still can't grok this:

 I build UHD from the latest git clone.

 Plug in the USRP1 last running on GnuRadio 3.2.2 and dmesg shows:
ugen4.2: <Free Software Folks> at usbus4  (i.e. loaded with old firmware)

 Run uhd_find_devices

FreeBSD 8; GNU C++ version 4.2.2 20070831 prerelease [FreeBSD]; Boost_104500; UH
D_003.004.000-1424488

UHD Warning:
   Could not locate USRP1 firmware.
   Please install the images package.
No UHD Devices Found
uhd_find_devices returned status 255

 Using the clues in Marcus' build-gnuradio script, I install the usrp1
images in {install_prefix}/share/uhd/images/

 Run uhd_find_devices again

FreeBSD 8; GNU C++ version 4.2.2 20070831 prerelease [FreeBSD]; Boost_104500; UH
D_003.004.000-1424488

-- UHD Device 0
Device Address:
   type: usrp1
   name:
   serial: 00000000

uhd_find_devices returned status 0

 I get the same responses after powering the USRP1 down:
ugen4.2: <Free Software Folks> at usbus4 (disconnected)
ugen4.2: <vendor 0xfffe> at usbus4
ugen4.2: <vendor 0xfffe> at usbus4 (disconnected)
ugen4.2: <Free Software Folks> at usbus4

 Seems like uhd_find_devices found a USRP1 but rather than tell me the
current status, it tells me it can't find the firmware. Since the sdcc
stuff was eliminated in GnuRadio 3.5.0 it seems reasonable for the USRP1
firmware to be put somewhere in the install space. Also seems reasonable
for the USRP2/etc but I don't have those to test.

 Should uhd_find_devices just tell me what it found, including the
current load, or is there some reason to install the firmware?

 I think there is more than one possible firmware load for the USRP1.
Will the USRP1 be loaded if I build and run GnuRadio without first
running uhd_find_devices?

I don't understand the problem. As per the documentation, when you install UHD from source, you must also install the images from the appropriate images package.

UHD loads  firmware and FPGA images into the USRP1 at runtime, the first time the USRP1 is initialized after power-up. USRP2 does not; it contains an SD card to hold its images. USRP1 requires firmware to be loaded in order to act like a USRP, so it needs to have the firmware image installed someplace UHD can find it. UHD will handle device initialization -- you don't need to manually run anything before executing a Gnuradio flowgraph.

If you want, you can manually specify any firmware/FPGA image you like, by passing parameters to UHD:

uhd_find_devices --args=fpga=/home/you/my_fpga_image.bin,fw=/home/you/my_fw_image.bin

--n

--
LRK
gr-user . ovillatx.sytes.net