Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:04:06 -0600

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:36:31AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> I've made it a habit to always be explicit about which device (or
> device class, at least) I'm going for when I use UHD tools.
>
> So, I
> *always* either specify "--args type=usrp1" or --args
> "addr=192.168.10.2" to UHD tools, so that I don't have to rely on
> autodiscovery stuff that might produce weird results. I kind of *have*
> to on one of my systems, because I have both a USRP1 and USRP2 on the
> same system.

It is probably a good habit but, with a computer, the program should be
able to determine if there is only one device and use it. Programs need
reasonable defaults as well.

> I vaguely recall from the mists of my memory that there's
> some subtle brokenness with SIGINT handling in *BSD Python and Gnu
> Radio, but that's as much as I remember.

I don't recall having a SIGINT problem with older versions. Maybe a
new "feature" (bug).

> In terms of why it's
> reloading the .ihx, I'm not sure, although I'll note in the code that
> there's a "force" parameter to the routine that loads the firmware, so
> that if "force" is set, the FX2 firmware is reloaded regardless of
> whether the local-file and on-board hash match. I'll also note that the
> routine that *calls* the firmware loader doesn't actually supply this
> parameter, so perhaps there's actually a bug.

Not too relavant as long as things work. I think my Ubuntu build is doing
the same things since I often have to execute a program twice after moving
the USRP1 from the other machine.

> usrp1_impl.cpp:
> fx2_ctrl::make(control)->usrp_load_firmware(usrp1_fw_image);
>
> Whereas
> the routine is defined here:
>
> void usrp_load_firmware(std::string
> filestring, bool force)
>
> I'm not much of a C++ guy (more of a C-only
> fossil), but it seems like there may be a mis-match in the args here,
> and that maybe on *BSD it just *happens* that the "force" parameter is
> being set by accident.

I don't use C++ either (same reason). I feed some GnuRadio bits into a C
program to analyze since I can't get time to write GnuRadio blocks.

> Perhaps Josh (when he's awake :-) ) can
> comment.

Always better to do programing while awake. :)

--
    The computer is supposed to work for YOU, not the other way around.
LRK