Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Really big items, best practices?

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Really big items, best practices?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:19:21 -0800

> With GNU Radio, very large item sizes do not work that well since the
> inter-block buffers are shared between threads and therefore, max size
> is limited by the OS. I'm sure you know what I mean :)

So your machine has enough memory, but the special "shared-memory/
doubly-mapped" buffers used by gnuradio cannot be allocated large
enough? Another downside of the doubly-mapped buffers is that we waste
half of the physical memory reserved.

I have been giving some thought into supporting "linear" buffers. The
downside is that you have to consider special edge conditions. It may be
that the issue you are having is a motivating reason to implement this. :-)

-Josh