Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Try to improve E100's performance at high sample

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Try to improve E100's performance at high sample rate
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:13:10 -0800

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM, ziyang <address@hidden> wrote:

I dont recommend using the extra blocks, that would probably cause more
overhead. Looking at gr_quadrature_demod_cf::work, it looks like you can
vectorize the operation of the conjugate multiply, then the atan, then
the gain scaler. So, that would be one for loop that operates on 4
samples at a time, and calls 3 volk functions.

Hi, Josh. I implemented a quadrature_demod_cf block (please find it in the attachment). Since the Volk atan2 function is currently only for SSE as Nick said, and there is no conjugate-multiply function for FC32 inputs, I use Gnuradio's built-in conjugate and fast_atan_2f functions, plus two volk multiply functions. The for loop is timed by high_res_timer. Besides, the work function of gr_quadrature_demod_cf is timed for comparison purpose (also attached). Each of these two blocks is connected to a file_source which provides modulated data.

I tested two blocks individually, firstly on a PC with Intel processor, then on E100. On PC, it always take volk-based block less time to demodulate a same-size-buffer of data (i.e. for 4096 input items, it takes the original quadrature_demod_cf block 0.185 ms but takes volk-based block only 0.163 ms to demodulate).

However, the results are different on E100: sometimes the original block runs faster, sometimes the volk-based block does. I ran the tests for several times, although the recorded time changes by some tens (occasionally a few handreds) of nanoseconds, but neither block is always faster than the other.

Now I'm confused by the results, since I expected the volk-ified demodulator to be faster. Could you give me some help on this issue? Thanks.

Optimizing an algorithm is a hard and sometimes counterintuitive process. You might benchmark the following:

- Gnuradio's atan2 WITHOUT any Volk multiplications (just comment out the volk mults in your block)
- The Volk multiplications WITHOUT Gnuradio's atan2 (just comment out the atan2 in your block)

This will let you determine where the bottleneck is. In addition, try running over a MUCH larger dataset. The clock resolution at <1ms is not very good and the scheduler will have a correspondingly larger effect at smaller timescales.

I think you'll find the atan2 part takes vastly longer than the multiplications do, and that will be where you have to look for performance improvements.

--n

Best Regards,

Terry