Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] which architecture is used for SIMD optimized mat

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] which architecture is used for SIMD optimized math blocks of gr-blocks
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:55:37 -0800

> I see that there are some work on the SIMD optimized math blocks in
> gr-blocks. I am wondering what kind of computer is used for your test
> regarding this SIMD optimization.

Code has been re-based and moved to this branch, BTW:
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/log/?h=new_blocks

The for the floating point version of the multiplier, and adder blocks,
and decimating FIR filter: the work function calls into a libvolk math
kernel. Therefore, the new blocks are not architecture specific.

Libvolk handles architecture selection and architecture-specific
dispatching. In other words, libvolk is responsible for calling into a
vectorized SIMD implementation that will operate on your architecture.

For a given kernel, there is a generic implementation, and optionally,
orc, sse*, neon, etc... To see if an optimized kernel is supported on
you architecture, see the kernel's header in volk/include/volk/*.h

If you have an x86 machine, most likely, there is already an sse*
implementation of a particular kernel.

-Josh